St. John's Anglican Church Lunenburg
Old Town Lunenburg, founded in 1753, was officially designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in August, 1996. At the centre of the town is St. John’s Anglican Church, Canada’s second oldest Protestant church. It is undeniably one of the country’s most outstanding examples of Carpenter Gothic architecture. On November 1, 2001, a devastating fire struck St. John’s. The restoration project that followed is a testimonial to the power of faith which has motivated and inspired many people in the community and all over the world. A second church was built in 1841 but replaced in 1890 by the present structure, one designed in High Victorian Gothic style.